Utilizing A Sample Scholarship Essay In Order To Get A higher Education
Getting into a university or college for a higher education is a challenge for both parents and students. The continued increase in tuition is enough to make sure that the number of incoming college freshmen would be relatively smaller each year.
Fortunately, students have several options to consider like getting a job or applying for a scholarship. For those who want to try and apply for a scholarship from either the school, an organization, or the community, a well-made scholarship essay makes all the difference between failure and success.
Importance Of A Scholarship Essay
When applying for a scholarship, a good, impressive essay is an important weapon to have. Most of the time, an essay often tips the scales in favor of a certain applicant, particularly if it is well written and well thought of.
Making an impact among the panel is important, and one can grab attention by writing something that can be appreciated by the committee. When looking for grantees, the scholarship committee does not just look at straight A grades or making impact to society but also at coherent thought, analytical thinking, ability to get a point across, and creativity in writing style.
Successful Scholarship Essays
A well-made essay effectively conveys thoughts and academic achievements. Winning essays are those where judges are able to respond to because they address a topic or question while involving the readers.
Another winning point is if the essay tells more about the applicant, thus, highlighting on the applicant's various experiences that make him qualified for the scholarship. If applicable, it is advisable to give specific descriptions on what one has contributed to society, how one felt about the said projects, and how to contribute to society better through the scholarship.
Write on future plans and goals from within one to five years. Personalization is an advantage, as the committee is able to gain insight on the applicant. This often works better in scholarships that are backed or given by non-government organizations and multinational companies with vested interests in assisting the environment, the youth sector, and others.
Essays that win scholarships are those from applicants who are able to stand out and impress the judges with their passion and conviction without making the essay seem forced or bragging.
What To Avoid When Writing A Scholarship Essay
There are a lot of common mistakes that must be avoided by an applicant when writing a scholarship essay. Among these are:
1. Starting with a weak opening paragraph makes the readers of the essay lose interest in reading the succeeding paragraphs.
2. Vague descriptions that do not say anything new or unique.
3. Vague details. Some students stray and describe things and experiences that have little significance to the essay.
4. Unexplained acronyms after using one. These create confusion on the meaning of the words or phrases.
5. Misuse of slang and jargon. A lot of the people who review scholarship essays have different slangs and jargons. These often result to miscommunication.
6. Over emphasis on accomplishments. Being on the school honor roll is good, but scholarship committee members may or may not give it due consideration.
7. Badmouthing peers. Impressing the committee with your socio-cultural summer projects may be a good idea, but don't mention that the other students spent their summer hanging around the mall, drinking coffee.
8. Essays that contain too many sub-stories. Should you need to stress your actions in the midst of adversity, make certain that the situation is really worth mentioning. Working for several part-time jobs to help pay the bills is better than writing about working several summers to buy that new car.
Sample Scholarship Essays
Finding Sample Scholarship Essays
For those who want to know more about scholarship essays, the Internet is a good source of reference materials and various tips. For those who want comprehensive guidelines and step-by-step assistance in writing scholarship essays, there are some books as well as eBooks available for purchase. These reference materials often contain samples of well-written scholarship essays and those that are otherwise.
Of course, for those who want to save money and get some samples for free, there are also scholarship essays available online. Some of the organizations and schools that offer scholarships have sample essays that students can check and use as references.
Higher education may be expensive, but with the right tools, one can secure that elusive scholarship. It is advisable to look into these sample essays to get ideas and valuable tips on how to write that impressive scholarship article.